Aspergers Mommy

My photo
Well I am a mom of two wonderful kids that I have been blessed with!!! I am not a psychiatrist, or a doctor so anything I say is not the answer to all, it might not even be the right thing for me!! lol I do my best with who and what I have to overcome any challenge with lots and lots of prayer,my mom who is God given just to me for this very reason, my sisters, and friends! I love life, mostly positive........BUT I am insane at times, get to the point of wanting to explode! lol.. I sing kids songs way too much! Did I mention I am OCD when it comes to cleaning. Which believe it or not I think is what keeps me sane. When I clean, I love it. Breakdowns, crying, talking, just all seem to be ok as I clean..Thank God for OCD!!!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Aspergers Monday with no meltdowns! May 10, 2011

So the life of a mom with aspergers isn't always bad! Monday was great! I am very used to small meltdowns that come up that I don't remember them on days that don't involve major happenings!  Thank God for the ability to forget! I remember there was about to be a meltdown about something, but I also was quick to distract her onto something else.

Monday is therapy day and that even though they push her did not seem to have much of an impact on her coping for the rest of the day. Did it help I went and bought her a love bug sprinkler while she was in therapy, yes. Some people call it spoiling, I call it calming the waters. She is spoiled though. So today she managed to button a shirt with six buttons in about 30 min, some crying and some screaming she isn't going to do it, a couple times knocking things off the desk, but her therapist is so very calm with her and gets her back on track quick. I need her to teach me!!!. But the thing to focus on is Samarra did it and at the end was very proud and so was I.

Samarra thinks that therapy means fast food, well today I also gave in on that, her favorite to celebrate her accomplishment, Taco Bueno!! I also had to pick up her refill on the medication she takes to help her with coping skills. I feel like I might get robbed every time I pick it up.. it cost $180 and that is after insurance pays! I asked the full amount and one month is $380. Thank God for my job and insurance!

Tonight is hair night!  I want to cry when this time comes around, but I am glad she was born with about two inch long hair and I have done her hair since birth so it does not bother her. THREE hours it took tonight to do her hair. Here is the steps. Take out braids and hair doo-dads, wash hair, condition, then brush out, then redo. The worst part is brushing out, there are a lot of comments of wishing someone else was her mom during this time. I do not take offense to it, lol

Here is a story about aspergers that could help anyone reading learn something. Samarra has an issue with not being on the ground, she calls it a fear of heights, but it is not just that.. when her feet are off the ground she feels very anxious and "freaks" out about some things. When I take her to my job I park in the garage. The first time I did I had to drag her out of the car, almost cary her kicking and screaming into the building. She felt like she was falling she said. Well I tell you this to help understand the next story.

I do Samarra's hair at home because I did try to take her to a salon to get it done and when the lady tried to wash her hair in the basin and have her lean back, she went into a full blown fear reaction, kicking, screaming, crying. The look on her face which I understand now, you would have thought someone was killing her. Well needless to say I almost went to jail that day. the lady told me I needed to beat her... Well I do not "beat my child number one, and number two, she was doing nothing wrong. A child with aspergers would not do this normally. HELLO....  We will never understand what she has to go through in her head to make it in the world, we will never understand why a Honda racer car causes her to get the look of fear and cover her ears and scream it hurts...  Needless to say, we were asked not to come back... I wash her hair while she is sitting in a chair in the shower, she does not have to lean back at all. she does fine!

Samarra words for the day: Why would someone name their restaurant "Taco Good",(Taco Bueno) we don't know if it is until we eat it, very well could be "Taco Bad"

Hair is done and it looks great!

Aspergers is a form of Autism... Lets support...

No comments:

Post a Comment